Thursday, April 18, 2013

An upcycled Earth Day gift to the birds

My son's teacher tends to be a bit spontaneous, which keeps her classroom fun. For example, I attended Parent Observation Day this year. She surprised all the adults by having us put on a play for the students with only minutes to prepare. It was quite entertaining.

Anyway, just yesterday, she gave the class a homework assignment to make an upcycled, yet weather-resistant, bird house out of items found around the house. It's due tomorrow to be displayed at a green expo for Earth Day. Here's what Jacob came up with in a pinch.

Basically, it's just a plastic snack container (this one was originally filled with almonds) with a large hole drilled into the front for a "door," a smaller hole drilled beneath the "door" to hold a stick perch and two more holes positioned on either side of the top for attaching an old wire to hang it. Jacob opted to paint the container, leaving just a bit unpainted near the top to act as a skylight.

It was just luck that all the colors coordinated and blended so nicely with the scenery. I hope his teacher likes it. I'm sure any minimalist bird would (Jacob said that although his classmates were planning more elaborate designs, he thought most birds would prefer something simple like this).

Happy early Earth Day everyone! :-) 

*****

BTW, there are a lot of special offers going on in honor of Earth Day. For example, I recently ordered some items from Josie Maran and received a free gift with my purchase (I got a mini mascara). From what I understand, the offer is valid through Earth Day (Monday, April 22), while supplies last.


One Lucky Duck is offering 10% off items from their glow section though Friday, April 19th (tomorrow), with the code GLOWSAFE10 (I'm a big fan of many of the items in the glow section, including 100% Pure, RMS Beauty, Sprout, Priti Polish, Simply Divine Botanicals and more).

NaturalZing is offering $6.99 flat-rate shipping on all orders (orders over $99 receive free shipping) this weekend (ends Monday, April 22) and will toss in either a free package of white milled chia seeds (mention FREEWHCHIA) or 4 oz. red maca (mention FREEMACARED), while supplies last. 

Just so you know, no one asked me to post these offers. I just decided to share them as they popped up in my e-mail. Enjoy!