Monday, March 10, 2014

The unconventional challenge

As you know, I'm a big fan of "Project Runway" and any spinoff of the show, such as "Project Runway All Stars," "Project Accessory" (I once posted a Q&A with one of the finalists), and now "Project Runway: Under the Gunn."

My favorite challenge is the unconventional challenge (I tend to be a bit unconventional myself sometimes), so I was excited to see the contestants making designs completely out of items found at the beach in last week's episode. Hayden and I were quite found of Sam's winning design, which we replicated with recycled paper (old wrapping paper scraps and a brown paper shipping bag) and blue painter's tape.


We also cut out a bunch of construction paper circles to create a paper dress similar to Oscar's runner-up design, but unfortunately, it didn't come out quite as tailored and sophisticated. At least we had fun making it, while watching "Team Umizoomi" and singing about our "super shapes."


Speaking of "super shapes," Hayden made this "Katy Perry Roar Dress" (as she calls it, since it looks like something she would have worn in that video) all by herself. She even put it on without any help from me.


We also made a fluffy pink Katy Perry-inspired dress together. Hayden was quite proud of the color-scheme she suggested (the original dress is either a cream or pale pink color), as well as her paper cutting skills.


Later, we made a paper flower ring to match.

Anyway, we just wanted to share with anyone who is still reading. I know we haven't been blogging much in the past couple months, but it's nice to check in with all of you every once and a while when we are inspired.

Is anyone else watching "Project Runway: Under the Gunn?" Does it inspire you?