Thursday, March 26, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Beet Lip & Cheek Stain

Happy Thursday! I recently saw this recipe for Homemade Beet Root Powder for Beet Juice, Smoothies, Natural Makeup & More on One Green Planet. The fact that it listed makeup as one of its uses, reminded me of the Beet Juice Lip & Cheek Stain I posted on my blog back in January of 2012.

If you click back to the original post, you can catch the video of my daughter and I formulating our Beet Juice Lip & Cheek Stain in our kitchen lab. It's basically fresh beet juice, with a touch of lemon juice to preserve the color and melted coconut oil to provide some moisture. We poured it into a sterilized roller ball lip gloss container for easy application, and stored it in the fridge in between uses.

If makeup DIY really isn't your thing, I also really like 100 Percent Pure's Fruit Pigmented Lip & Cheek Stain in Cherry. It's brighter than the homemade version and has more staying power. Above, you can see how it looks on my lips, and below is a swatch to get the idea of how it looks without my natural lip color underneath (the darker swatch is a heavier lip application, while the faint pink mark is a lighter cheek application).


Have you ever made your own lip & cheek stain? Do you have a favorite brand that makes one? I realize that my comments section is no longer available, but you can find me on Twitter at @Rawdorable.

*100 Percent Pure did not provide this product for review. I'm just a fan of the brand.