Monday, April 11, 2016

Keeping up w/kiddos & SuperDetoxMe

The weather is warming up (except for this weekend; we oddly got snow in April), so we've been outside a lot. I've been having fun with the kiddos and taking my snacks on the go.

As you know, my favorite snack is a smoothie or juice. SuperDetoxMe took note of this fact and offered to send me all five flavors of their new juice, which is meant to be consumed as a detox. Since I already keep my diet fairly clean, I opted to enjoy them separately.

According to Super Detox Me, "Each flavor offers real fruit and vegetable taste that can only be achieved by using premium all-natural ingredients. SuperDetoxMe drinks contain no additives: no preservatives, no sugars or colors. They also do not contain any artificial or natural flavors. They are all vegan, allergen-free, gluten-free, kosher and non-GMO."

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that I sampled these juices while the kids were off from school for Spring Break (I didn't post anything on my blog at that time, which explains the delay in posting about these juices here now). You also might remember that my daughter and I shared the first one, which is our favorite of the bunch.

Renewal is a combination of apples, blueberries, chia seeds, cinnamon, whole grain brown rice and cocoa. It's described on the website as a "brown rice milkshake" that's "nothing short of delicious" and nutritious, too. It has antioxidants, vitamins and calcium, and "organic whole grain brown rice milk, dairy milk’s vegan sister, adds in a bit of protein, all while being allergen, gluten and lactose free."

The standout ingredient in this juice is the cinnamon, which not only provides taste, but texture, as well. Combined with the apple and blueberry, it reminded us of cinnamon raisin bread.

After trying the most decadent juice of the bunch, I selected the juice at the complete opposite end of the spectrum to sample next (on another day that week). I have to admit that it took a bit of strength to get through the first couple sips of this very green Strength (it has apple, cucumber, lemon, banana, spinach, kale ginger and chlorella), but then I adjusted to the strong chlorella flavor. I don't believe SuperDetoxMe was stingy at all with the chlorella, as it is the main flavor I could taste, but the lemon cuts it a bit.

This is how SuperDetoxMe describes it, "Strength is the Green Queen of juices. She embodies the strength of top super foods kale and spinach, and the sweetness of apples and bananas. Cucumbers keep her lean and smooth, while lemons and ginger give her pizzazz to rule the castle. Chlorella algae boosts her immune system to keep the Green Queen’s candle burning 24/7, 365 days a year."

The last three flavors are very similar to taste. I found that the apple was the standout ingredient in all three. It's no surprise, since the ingredient lists are short and sweet, like Awareness. It has apple, aronia (also known as chokeberry), lemon, cucumber and acerola.

"Bring Awareness to the day. Every day," the SuperDetoxMe website states. "De-stress and refresh with this super-charged, super-ripped aronia lemonade. With anti-oxidant rich aronia and acerola berries, it packs a real booster punch for increased metabolism and energy, and a better outlook on the day. It’s fuel for the mind, body and soul!"

This juice was quite unique to me, most likely because I'm unfamiliar with aronia. It must have been the flavor I could not pinpoint. I did like the touch of acerola, which gives it an added boost of vitamin C.

If you saw my YLLO scrub and Lani Tropical Cacao Detox Mask posts, you're probably aware of my love for turmeric. Transformation just happens to have turmeric in it, as well as apple, carrot, pineapple, cucumber, lemon, mango and ginger. Again, I could mainly taste the apple, but other flavors were still present.

The SuperDetoxMe has a fun way of introducing you to this juice that I found to be amusing: "Behold the Transformation of Sir Carrot! He is one sweet seeker of the Holy Grail of all that’s good for the heart, body and soul. Charming the ladies with pineapple, apples, and mangos, oh yeah! And, he packs one mean vitamin punch: A, D, E, K, B1 and B6, stronger and sprightlier than all other Knights of the Juice Table. Sir Carrot boosts his smooth body with cucumber, and keeps things fresh with lemon and turmeric. Transformation is the warrior of all warriors to reckon with."

The last juice I tried was Vibrance, which sets itself apart from previous two juice with the subtle hint of peppermint and green tea. I found that the peppermint was quite refreshing and the green tea gave me a boost of energy. I didn't notice the mango as much as I'd like to have.

SuperDetoxMe's site says, "Get ready to shake things up with Vibrance. Just when you are feeling like running back to your nest, you can always count on the green-tea and peppermint power-combo to lift you up and get you moving. It is a good thing we got your back ... Now, go go go little bird, people are counting on you!"

I know my kiddos are counting on me to be there when they need me. We had a blast the day we photographed these juices outside with the sidewalk chalk. This juice kept me fueled, while we sketched out the designs printed on the juice pouches. Although these juices are lightly pasteurized (I usually juice my own produce or buy cold-pressed juice), I appreciate the fact that it allows me to easily take these with me wherever I go. You can purchase these juices in 10-pack cases of one particular flavor (I recommend Renewal), or as a 1-Day, 3-Day or 5-Day Detox Pack.

Have you tried SuperDetoxMe? What are your thoughts? Let me know on Twitter at @Rawdorable and/or Instagram (also @Rawdorable).

* SuperDetoxMe sent me these juices for review. All opinions are my own :)